Conference on Speech & Debate as Civic Education-Penn State
On- , a conference on Speech & Debate as Civic Education will be hosted by the Department of Communication Arts & Science and the Center for Democratic Deliberation at Penn State University.
The conference will feature a keynote address by former debater and presidential speechwriter, Craig R. Smith, along with a luncheon address by another former debater and former dean of the School of Communication at Northwestern University, David Zarefsky.
We welcome completed papers and extended abstracts addressing all aspects of the relationship between curricular or co-curricular speech and debate and civic education, including but not limited to:
- The history of curricular and co-curricular speech and debate in all forms
- Speech and debate in the classroom and across the curriculum
- Co-curricular debate and forensics as education for citizenship
- Alternative forms of co-curricular speech and debate and their relationship to civic education
- Current and future problems and possibilities for innovation in speech and debate education
We encourage submissions from coaches or participants in any form of collegiate debate and forensics (NDT/CEDA, NFA-LD, APDA, NPDA, etc.), as well as from program administrators and educators from any discipline with an interest in speech or debate as civic education.
For more information, please visit the conference website at:http://debateconference.psu.edu/.